Pages

Tuesday 1 April 2008

My PCs and my test lab

For those out there who want to know how I manage to get my Windows forest up and running with 7 domains. I have two PCs. Each configured with Intel Q6600 2.4GHz Quart Processors and each has 8GB 667Mhz DDR2 of Memory. Of course, I always use Asus motherboard, never failed with Asus Motherboard before. One with Asus P5K-R and the other one with P5K-Pro, both come with Intel P35 Chipset. As per usual, I build my own PC. I reused back my Casing, Power Supply, Floppy and DVD from my old P4 2.4Ghz. Everything looks the same from outside.

I have tried to over-clock both motherboard to 3GHz, running fine for two months, but later faced some problems on some applications. Tried most of the setting in BIOS, bus speed, memory speed, memory voltage, CPU voltage. Still got "Blue" screen when applications is heavily loaded. Suspected my "cheap" 667Mhz Memory is giving me issues, what to do... it's cheap. 2GB per piece is SGD $70 and that price was in Nov 2007. It works! but cannot over-clock above 667Mhz. Mr. "Blue" will visit my computer when it reached 800Mhz. :-P

Believed it or not, I got 2.6T of storage. Each PC has 1 x 320GB (reuse) and 2 x 500GB (new). No choice, the current best valued hard disk per GB is 500GB. Was forced to purchased 500GB base on this logic.

I've also got two 19" Samsung 910T LCD monitor that I brought 2 years back. Both PC have Dual DVI ports linked to both monitors, one using DVI, the other using DVI-to-VGA convertor. With this, I am able to switch between two PC by pressing the "source" button on the monitor. Too bad, I can't find any dual DVI input KVM switch in the market. So, this is still the best method. Again, why two monitor? One Monitor for VM and the other monitor for eBooks and web. So that I can read and perform my lab at the same time. Is kind of effective. Sometime, I will have both PC VM up on each screen and use a simple 2 port KVM switch to toggle the keyboard and mouse between both PCs. I think my next upgrade will be two years later. When Intel desktop Motherboard is able to support 16GB memory.... I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment